How to configure a customer origin configuration on either type of HTTP delivery platform for your Nexcess CDN.
What you need
- An active CDN service with Nexcess. To order a Nexcess service plan, visit our website.
- Your Client Portal username and password. If you cannot locate this information, click Forgot password? on the Client Portal login page. or contact our support team.
ATTENTION: It may take between 1 to 3 hours for changes to be reflected in all CDN locations. Do not configure your live site to use the CDN web addresses until the web addresses are fully functional.
- Log in to the Client Portal. From the dashboard, click Services > Other.
- Locate the relevant CDN service. From the menu toggle, followed by CDN Control Panel.
- If prompted, choose your preferred language.
- Select HTTP Large or HTTP Small, then select Customer Origin.
- Enter your domain information as follows:
ATTENTION: This directory does not correlate to a directory on your hosting service; it is just used for organizational purposes. For example, if you use the images directory, you will need to append another /images directory to the URL generated.
- The directory name serves as a unique identifier for the origin within your URL. It is recommended to choose a directory name that describes the role of this origin for your content so the directory name will not need to change if you need to use different origin servers to provide the content.
- You can assign any name, but do not include spaces or special characters.
HTTP Edge Protocol: Do not clear this selection as this protocol adds your content to the CDN.
Hostname or IP Address: Enter the hostname or IP address of your host server.
- The default port of 80 will automatically append to the web address.
- Click Add to add the server to the list. You may specify additional locations if you have mirrored your content and require failover.
Load-Balancing Mode: Use the default setting unless you have an advanced understanding of your configuration.
HTTP Edge Protocol: Leave empty.
HTTP Host Header: Use the default entry.
- Click Add on the lower right section of the control panel when complete. On the Customer Origin page, you will see the CDN web address for use in accessing content on the customer origin server listed under the Full URL column. This CDN web address points to the root folder of your customer origin server.
- You can verify your CDN web addresses are fully functional by replacing your domain with the asset you just created. For example, if you want to verify an asset at http://domain.com/css/styles.css and your CDN address is the one shown in the above image, enter http://smhttp.42588.nexcesscdn.net/images/css/style.cs
- You can specify a custom web address by setting up the CNAME files. For instructions on configuring CNAME files, refer to How to create an Edge CNAME URL.
For 24-hour assistance any day of the year, contact our support team by email or through your Client Portal.