How to create an EdgeCast CNAME URL, which allows you to assign a custom hostname to reference content to be routed through the CDN.
What you need
ATTENTION: After completing the below steps, allow the CNAME URL 12 - 24 hours to propagate. Until then, browsers visiting this URL may encounter an error message.
After setting up an origin server with either the HTTP small delivery platform or the HTTP large delivery platform, the URLs for the CDN origin are displayed on the HTTP small or large object panel as shown below.
The following example shows how to configure the the HTTP small delivery platform
- Log in to your Client Portal. From the dashboard, click Service > Other.
- Locate the relevant CDN service. From the menu toggle, followed by CDN Control Panel.
- Select your language.
- From the dashboard, click HTTP SMALL (or HTTP LARGE), then click Customer Origin.
- On the HTTP Small Object Customer Origins page, locate the desired CDN URL and copy the portion that represents your actual CDN URL for use in Step 10, as shown below.
- From the dashboard, click HTTP SMALL (or HTTP LARGE), then click Edge CNAMEs.
ATTENTION: In Step 7 below, when entering your subdomain name, use lower-case letters and do not include the HTTP protocol.|
- In the HTTP Small Object Edge CNAMES panel, in the New Edge CNAME field, type a name for the subdomain that you want to use to access your CDN service. Note this name for use in Step 10.
- Select the Customer Origin radio button.
- From the Origin Directory drop-down menui, select the target location to which the origin server CNAME will point.
ATTENTION: Before going to Step 10, take note of both the URL for CDN origin you copied in Step 5 and the New Edge CNAME you created in Step 7. You will enter this information when asked to enter the CNAME URL in Step 6
- Use one of the below methods to create the CNAME URL. This choice depends on your nameservers, which you can determine by performing a WHOIS lookup on your domain.
If your domain uses DNSXXX-1.NEXCESS.NET and DNSXXX-2.NEXCESS.NET as its nameserver, use the procedure provided in the “Adding CNAME records” section of How to configure DNS records in SiteWorx:
- In Step 5, in the Hostfield, enter the New Edge CNAME you created in Step 3 above.
- In Step 5, in the Alias field, enter the URL for CDN origin from Step 1 above.
If your domain uses NS1.NEXCESS.NET and NS2.NEXCESS.NET as its nameservers, use the procedure provided in the How to configure DNS records in the Client Portal, and choose CNAME record during Step 5. Enter the following information, then click Create:
Alias: Enter the URL for CDN origin from Step 5
Host/Domain: Enter the New Edge CNAME you created in Step 7
TTL: Use the default entry
- If your domain uses neither of the above, Nexcess does not manage your DNS. Contact the organization responsible for managing your DNS to make the necessary changes.
For 24-hour assistance any day of the year, contact our support team by email or through your Client Portal.