How Nexcess clients on physical (non-cloud) servers can schedule automatic backups for their service.
What you need
- A Nexcess account on a physical (non-cloud) server. If you wish to schedule backups on your Nexcess Cloud account, please contact our support team by email or through your Client Portal.
- Login credentials for your SiteWorx account.
- Available disk space on your server; you may view available disk space from your SiteWorx home page.
- A previous request to our support team to enable backups, as SiteWorx backups are disabled by default.
This procedure explains how to schedule automatic backups with SiteWorx. If you want to perform a single, immediate backup, refer to How to perform a one-time backup with SiteWorx.
ATTENTION: Full backups and structure-only backups cannot be restored with SiteWorx. If you have a shared or SIP plan, or are unsure, contact our support team by email or through your Client Portal and specify the data and the date of restoration.
- Log in to your SiteWorx account.
- In the main menu, click Backups > Schedule.
- On the "Schedule Backups" screen, click Create Scheduled Backup.
- In the "Additional input is required" panel, from the Frequency drop-down list, select either Weekly or Monthly, as desired.
- In the same panel (see above), from the Backup Type drop-down list, select one:
Full Backup: Backs up all web files, databases, and email settings. This will not save individual emails.
Partial Backup: Backs up only the elements you choose. You will make this selection after you click Continue.
Structure-Only Backup: Backs up only information related to your SiteWorx account, such as usernames, passwords, quotas, and other settings.
- In the same panel see above ), from the Backup Where drop-down list, specify the location to store the backup. Regardless of your choice, you may also use SiteWorx to retrieve the backup. Refer to How to download backup files in SiteWorxfor more information.
Default Location: Stores the backup at the following path, where [username] is the first 8 characters of your domain name, and [example.com] is your domain name:
Local File: Stores the backup at the location you specify after you click Continue.
FTP: Stores the backup on another server using FTP; you will enter additional details during Step 9.
SFTP/SCP: Stores the backup on another server using SFTP or SCP; you will enter additional details during Step 9.
- Click Continue.
- The Schedule Backup panel will now ask for additional information, which will depend on the choices you made in Step 5 and Step 6 (see above):
- In the Email status to: field, enter the email address to receive backup status updates. By default, SiteWorx uses the email address associated with your SiteWorx account.
If you selected a partial backup in Step 5, in the Backup Type section, indicate the data type or types to be backed up.
If you selected FTP or SFTP/SCP in Step 6, in the Backup Where section, enter the path, login credentials, hostname, and port.
- In the Backup When section, indicate your preferred hour and day for the backup to occur.
- Once you have specified all of the necessary information, click Schedule Backup. The duration of the operation will vary according to your individual choices, but SiteWorx will send a notification email designated in Step 8a when complete.
After the backup is complete, the stored files are compressed into a .tgz file and stored in the specified location.
You can download, open, and decompress the file using common file compression programs, such as WinZip, Zipeg, Gunzip, or a default program on your operating system. Refer to How to download backup files with SiteWorx for more information.
For 24-hour assistance any day of the year, contact our support team by email or through your Client Portal.